Pets provide people with a constant source of love, protection, and companionship. They count on you to provide for their basic needs and to take preventative measures in protecting their health. In addition to regular vet visits, one of the most important steps you can take on behalf of your pet is to keep your home and yard free from pests.
Unfortunately, pests your pet comes into contact with outdoors can threaten their health and may be carried indoors. At Pointe Pest Control, our local pest experts can help you prevent problems and infestations that could impact you and others in your home. Pet safe pest control helps to ensure that you, your family, and your furry friends all stay safe and protected.
Common Pests That Threaten Your Pets
Pets need time outdoors for exercise and exploration. Unfortunately, pests they encounter in your yard or during walks and runs can put them and you in danger. PetMD warns that common outdoor nuisances that can threaten the safety of dogs, cats, and other types of pets include:
- Fleas: One of the most common types of pet nuisances, they can jump off the ground or from carpeting and furniture in other people’s homes to infest and take up residence on your pet. Many are actually allergic to the flea bites, which cause itching and a loss of fur. In some cases, blood loss through severe flea infestations can put your pet’s life in jeopardy.
- Ticks: These are another common and potentially dangerous pet hazard. They can attach to your pet during walks or when exploring wooded areas around your home. In addition to causing itchy and red, swollen spots on your pet, ticks can also carry potentially dangerous diseases. Tick paralysis can cause permanent disabilities in your pet, as can Lyme disease, which can also be transferred to humans.
- Mites: These tiny pests can cause intense itching, skin rashes, and hair loss in your pets. They can result in conditions such as mange and scabies in your pet and can easily attach to humans as well.
- Mosquitos: Mosquito bites can also prove life threatening for dogs or cats you own. They can spread dangerous parasites resulting in heartworm, a potentially fatal condition that can be difficult to treat.
- Intestinal worms: These are parasites that can get transferred through animal feces, infecting your pet and resulting in roundworm or ringworm. They can cause excessive tiredness, nausea, vomiting, and dangerous weight loss. They can also be easily transferred to humans.
Are Your Pets Bringing Pests Into Your Home?
Considering the problems and potentially serious health issues outdoor pests can cause for your pests, getting regular pet safe pest control services should be a top priority. In addition to protecting your pets against fleas, ticks, worms, and other potentially dangerous parasites, it can also protect them against hazards posed by stinging pests, rats, and snakes.
In addition to protecting their health, pet safe pest control can help to keep outdoor bugs and parasites from attaching to your dog or cat and being brought into your home. Even something as simple as a bad case of fleas can cause allergic reactions in humans, threatening the health of you and your family members. Pets can also bring in bed bugs, which can make sleeping at night next to impossible. If you have small children, protecting them against parasites brought in through dogs, cats, rabbits, or other types of creatures should be a top priority.
Our local pest control experts provide fast, friendly service and effective, safe treatments to eliminate pests that may have found their way indoors through animals you keep as pets. Once your home is treated, ways that you can help keep pet pests from returning in the future include:
- Visit your veterinarian and get preventative treatments to prevent fleas, ticks, and heartworm;
- Get regular grooming of your pet and check them thoroughly for pests after walks or anytime outdoors;
- Routinely vacuum all carpets and floors throughout your home to pick up any pests that may have been carried in.
Contact Us For Pet Safe Pest Control Services
At Pointe Pest Control, we know that your pets are cherished members of your family. We offer pet safe pest control services designed to protect them and you against the threat of bites and infestations. To schedule a free consultation, call or contact our local pest control experts online today.