Mosquitoes are not only annoying, but they also carry and transmit serious diseases to their human hosts. As such, it’s important to try and control mosquito populations as best as possible. This will prevent them from getting into your yard, and your home. Fortunately, there are many simple ways to control mosquitoes around the home. These include:
- Keep fly screens on windows, doors, vents, and chimneys and make sure they are maintained in good condition at all times.
- Use a fly spray on mosquitoes you see in your home.
- Use insect sprays on areas such as shaded shrubbery around your home. Always read the label affixed to the product and avoid using in areas such as fish ponds.
- When mosquito infestations are serious, use a long-lasting surface spray in areas where mosquitoes like to gather.
- Don’t leave anything in the yard that can collect water. This includes things as small as bottle caps, as this is enough water for certain types of mosquitoes to breed.
- Clean gutters and drains regularly so the water can run freely through them.
- Repair any leaking taps outside.
- Refresh drinking bowls for pets, birdbaths, and water in vases at least once a week. When it is warmer, these need to be changed more often.
- Place sand around the base of pots holding plants. This will absorb the water that drains out of them so it does not attract mosquitoes.
- Make sure outdoor pools are well maintained, and empty or covered with a secure tarp when not in use.
- Keep fish ponds clean with very little vegetation around the edges.
- Cut the grass regularly and keep plants in gardens trimmed to reduce the number of areas where mosquitoes reside.
- Ensure water tanks are completely sealed.
- Cover water collection containers with lids or screens.
These are just a few of the steps you can take to reduce the number of mosquitoes around your home and keep yourself safe.