Have you ever wondered what the big deal is with cockroaches? Yes, these pests can give you a case of the creepy crawlies if you have them inside your home, but what makes them such a threat? The Pennsylvania and New Jersey exterminators at Pointe Pest Control know exactly what threats are posed by invading cockroaches, because they deal with them every day. Here are the top 5 reasons why cockroaches pose a problem for your property.
- Cockroaches are known for spending time in filthy environments and picking up the pathogens and bacteria from those environments on their legs and bodies. When they find food inside our homes and businesses, they will spread those pathogens directly to our foods, causing us to get sick.
- Even if cockroaches can’t find food sitting right on our counter tops, they will crawl over our food preparation areas looking for food. In doing so, they pass the pathogens and bacteria on their bodies directly to our food preparation surfaces. We can contract ‘food poisoning’ or diarrhea from eating food that was prepared on an area where cockroaches have traveled.
- The exoskeleton of cockroaches is periodically shed, which means if you have an infestation of cockroaches in your home, you could have many of these shed skins laying around. These skins (as well as cockroach feces) are known for causing allergies and asthma in children, especially if exoskeleton dust and cockroach feces are breathed in.
- Cockroaches are known for reproducing very quickly; cockroach nymphs emerge within 38 days from their eggs and then complete their development within the next 6 months to a year. Cockroaches are also known to live for longer than a year, which means an infestation inside your home can grow quickly, with many generations present.
- Cockroaches are resilient. It has been said that they would be one of the few creatures to survive in a nuclear disaster. Many cockroach control methods that are used today are ineffective, especially DIY solutions, which is why a Pointe Pest Control professional should be called to get rid of cockroaches inside your home.
Cockroaches in PA enter your home looking for food, water and shelter; if they find all three, a cockroach infestation that begins with just two single cockroaches can escalate very quickly. If you have a small cockroach infestation, it is best to have it eradicated immediately, before it has a chance to grow into a problem that can’t easily be controlled.
For pest control you can trust, contact the professionals at Pointe Pest Control. We can offer cockroach identification to let you know which cockroach species is a problem for you as well as complete cockroach control and preventative solutions. Our pest control program is guaranteed to protect your home against common household pests while our commercial pest control plans are a customized program for both local and national commercial facilities having trouble with pests like cockroaches.